It's official, we moved in. We're on day four of the new house, a 5-acre farm in Ligonier, Pennsylvania. We're 50 minutes from my parents and it's just familiar enough that I do not need the GPS to get to the grocery store, to fill up my tank.
I purposefully let myself wander the other day. It was night time and I passed large houses and houses on cinderblocks. Roadkill and a family of deer. I heard my dogs bark before I saw in the window. I let the water run too hot when I ran the bath. I got a splinter on a stick I was throwing to Milo. I drank a six pack because it was the first Saturday I took off in over a year. We've gone to bed at ten every night this week and I wake up rested. The fog greets me and its chill lingers at the baseboards of the dining room.
The dogs play for hours and then sleep for hours more. They bark at a wake of vultures that sun themselves on the fence, crucified in the morning light and as still as gravestones. They haven't seen each other in over a year and now they are back together and share a water bowl. It is comfortable here; we promised them it is the last time we move.
I started baking again, feeding the family I formed and broke up and reformed like kintsugi. The first dish I made was mac and cheese. Comfort food. The kind you build a family around.
White Cheddar Pimento Mac 'n Cheese
- 16 ounce macaroni noodles
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon AP flour
- 2 cup whole milk
- 16 oz white cheddar
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup pimentos, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350*F and prep a 13" skillet with butter or oil
- In a large pot, cook your macaroni to box direction and drain. Return noodles back to pot
- In a sauce pan, heat your flour and butter on medium-high until mixture has thickened and browned
- Using a whisk, continuously stir while pouring in your milk
- Cook down for about 6 minutes or until thickened
- Take off of heat and stir in cheddar, mayonnaise, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and paprika
- Pour cheese mixture over cooked noodles and stir to coat
- Add pimento and fold into mix
- Pour into your skillet and top with breadcrumbs
- Bake 40 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and top is golden brown
Want updates on the new house? Sign up for my newsletter (form is on the right) and you'll be the first to see the place!