This week was easy, it went by fast. The chickens are growing, the dogs ran themselves exhausted in the field this week. Our friends had a baby and he is beautiful. We had a mid-week stay in D.C. to see Feist. And today, we went out for breakfast and now we're planning our trip to Vermont this summer. So, for Sunday, I'll keep it easy. Make this cake--it is good!
Strawberry Meringue Mini Cake!
- 1 cup AP flour
- 2 TB cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 TB white vinegar
- 3 TB unsalted butter, softened
- 3 TB shortening
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg + 1 white
- Prepare your 6 inch cake pan with softened butter and parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, corn starch, and salt
- In a separate bowl or measuring cup, whisk together extracts, milk, and vinegar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together fats and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add egg and white with motor running--mixture may look a little curdled, but will come together with remaining ingredients
- Now, take bowl out of stand mixer and, using a rubber spatula, alternate in thirds between your flour and your milk mixtures until your batter comes together
- Pour into your cake pan, bake for 22-25 minutes or until slightly puffed and golden, pulling away from the pan a bit
- Allow to cool completely before decorating
Directions for Decorating: Clean our your stand mixer bowl while cake is baking and cooling and beat on high two egg whites. When soft peaks form, slowly pour in 3 TB white sugar and continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks form. Transfer to a piping bag. When cake is completely cooled, pipe meringue onto cake top in any decoration you'd like. Toast with a kitchen torch, top with sliced strawberries and serve.