Lily is a talent, an inspiration. Lily is a soulful presence, so recognizable by her thoughtful weaving of story and description. She's a teacher. There's wisdom in her recipes. Her photos are light, airy. There's a sense of comedy and self-effacement when she writes. She's created a craft and a light that her stories and photos and recipes all possess that are so uniquely hers, all wrapped under the eponym of Kale & Caramel.
To me, both the blog and the person behind it, act as a pantheon. At once, Lily is the goddess of hearth and the goddess of the seasons. She listens to the plants, to the world around her. A goddess of art and magic and wisdom. Of loss and rebirth and tenderness.
And did this book spring from her head? I do not know, but there's a mysticism and ease in its prose that says it may just have.
Lily wrote a cookbook, and I was lucky enough to get a copy. And from the beautiful pages, full of crisp white borders and shocks of color, you get a sense of who she is and what she can create. And, in turn, what you can create from her work. I wanted to give you a taste of what this book has to offer its reader, so I am sharing her Citrus Sage Tonic recipe with you below.
To learn more about The Kale & Caramel Cookbook, click here. It's out today so buy a copy (or two! or three!) and let me know how much you love it!
Citrus Sage Tonic
- 3 fresh sage leaves
- 1 to 2 tablespoons agave nectar, depending on the sweetness of the grapefruit
- 1 large grapefruits, juiced (about 2 cups)
- 1 lime, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 large lemon, juiced (about 1/2 cup)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Ice cubes, for serving
- Use a muddler or a wooden spoon to crush the sage into the agave nectar at the bottom of a cocktail shaker.
- Add the grapefruit, lime, and lemon juices, and a few pinches of salt
- Shake vigorously, then strain out over ice
- (Lily suggests making this a cocktail with tequila, mezcal, gin, or vodka!)
This recipe is Copyright © 2017 by Lily Diamond from KALE & CARAMEL: Recipes for Body, Heart, and Table published by Atria Books, a division of Simon & Schuster, Inc. Photos copyright © 2017, Lily Diamond