After three weekends of plans, we finally got a day to relax! Today, we're going to try to convince Nolan's parents to come over to mow the yard (we don't have a mower yet), and then maybe go into town to put our order in for our chickens!!
This is my first recipe of the new year with lemons. These cupcakes also have a unique ingredient that I think add value and flavor to them, so don't knock it 'til you try it!
Okay, gotta go drink another cup of coffee and get ready to prep the barn! Have a great Sunday!
Lemon and Mayo Cupcakes with Toasted Meringue!
So! You might be a little grossed out with the addition of mayonnaise in this recipe, but I think it really does add a richness that is sometimes lost in plain Jane lemon cupcakes. Also, as you may have seen in my instagram story, I used a small lighter that I got from the dollar store to toast the meringue and it worked perfectly (I'm kind of scared of kitchen torches).
- 1 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 TB unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs + 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 TB lemon zest
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350*F and prepare large muffin tin (or regular sized!) with paper liners
- Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder in a mixing bowl
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar
- Add eggs. It will look slightly curdled, but that's okay!
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth and a pale yellow
- By hand, mix in dry ingredients, a quarter cup at a time, with a rubber spatula
- Divide evenly into your prepared cups
- Bake for 25 minutes or until browned for large, 18-20 minutes for regular-sized cupcakes
- Allow to cool before topping with meringue
Ingredients and Directions for Meringue: In a clean bowl of a stand mixer, whisk 2 egg whites on high and continue to beat until soft peaks form. Add a 1/3 cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract. Keep beating until you get to stiff peaks. Use a piping bag (or even a regular ol' freezer bag!) and pipe onto your cooled cupcakes. Use a torch to toast meringue and serve!